I’m a self-titled dress-it-down queen, I always rather be under-dressed to any occasion. So, when Weddington Way challenged me to take one of their bridesmaid dresses and turn it into an acceptable summer date look, I was sooooo ready. Without further ado, here’s my chosen looks with matching makeup, along with a few tips and tricks to reuse that bridesmaid dress sitting in the back of your closet.
Before you try to dress down a bridesmaid dress, you obviously need to have one first! For those with picky brides and even pickier fellow bridesmaids, swing by Weddington Way’s current collection of bridesmaid dresses which includes over 1000 designs, all in various colours.
Now, based off what I’ve seen others do, I compiled a few clothing, shoes and accessories in the picture below. But, I also decided to go big and show off how some of these choices would look on an actual person (ahem, myself).
1) Bridesmaid Dress: Weddington Way Alfred Sung D488.
- I love boatnecks so much and the overall structure of this dress is lovely.
2) Khaki Lapel Drawstring Waist Epaulet Vest: found here on SheIn.com
- Should your summer date be during the bright but boiling hot hours of the day, a linen vest (or an equally rough textured material) vest will definitely help dress down your bridesmaid dress!
3) Retro Denim Jacket in Dark Wash: found here on yoyomelody.com
- Okay, the most casual of all the fabrics is obviously jean, so you can safely bet placing a jean jacket on top of your bridesmaid or any formal dress really will dress it down.
4) Robyn Saddle Tan Leather Wedges: found here on naturalizer.ca
- People think that heels means not-casual, however, I think that’s bolony. Cause what happens when you want to show off your sexy legs on a summer date, huh? Have no worries! Neutral tone wedges are what I consider the most casual of heels and can definitely be worn in a casual setting.
5) Wucien Sandal Flats: found here on callitspring.com
- Summer and sandals go hand-in-hand, so feel free to show off your pretty toes in a nice gladiator sandal. They’re not so dress down as to be out of place with your bridesmaid dress, but casual enough that you can walk your dog with them.
6) Gold Seashell Charms Anklet: found here at claires.com
- My personal preference really. I love anklets and will probably always wear one when my feet are in a sandal or heel of some sort. So, there. All I ask is that you keep it simple.
7) Gold Stretch Bangle Bracelet with Bird and Clarity Charm: found here at claires.com
- If you’re going to wear any jewelry, keep it simple and small. Delicate even. The more bulky you go, the more you’re dressing it up. So simple is the way to go. Also: boatneck and necklaces don’t usually go too well together, but there are exceptions. Fact of the matter is that you can safely go without one this particular bridesmaid dress.
Now, with that out of the way, I shall unveil the makeup I decided to go for with these looks:
The main ideas behind the makeup was to look somewhat natural with hints of pink thrown in there. So, I opted out of bronzer or contouring of any kind. Also, a lip option that would be kiss-proof. I gotchus 😉
- Revlon Colorstay Liquid Foundation in Buff
- The Saem Cover It Concealer in 01
- e.l.f Mineral Powder Foundation in Porcelain
- e.l.f Studio Blush in Candid Coral
- e.l.f Baked Highlighter in Blush Gems
- Loreal La Couleur Infallible Eyeshadow in Amber Rush
- Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Toasted
- Essence 3D Eyeshadow in Irresistable Choco Cupcake
- The Face Shop Freshian Mascara in Curling
- Innisfree Powerproof Brush Liner in Brown
- e.l.f Studio Eyebrow Kit in Light
- Loreal Brow Stylist Plumper in Medium to Dark
- The Body Shop Lip & Cheek Doll Stain
- Maybelline Baby Lips in Cherry Me
- A simple braid!
- Bandana, available at any local second hand store near you!
All right, now onto the fun part! Me dressing up!
I pulled out my cutest and most frilly dress to show you the powers of a jean jacket! Ohhh ahh!
I had a boat neck semi-formal dress too, so here ya go! A linen vest does a pretty good job to dress it down, am I right?
Mmmmkay. That’s all I got to say.
Many thanks to Weddington Way to send this challenge my way, I had a lot of fun!
ps: Since I don’t have someone to go on dates with, I’ll just take this handsome boy out for a walk!