So what if dark lipsticks are officially “out of season”? I ain’t stashing them away yet! And since I recently added onto my collection, I thought why don’t I try them all on for the world to see?
To begin, 3/8 of the lip products I’m going to show you aren’t lipsticks. FYI. Also, because I don’t have that much money to throw around, all these lip products are less than 10$CAN. Pretty crazy, right?
Now, shall we start (in no particular order)?
1) Revlon’s Super Lustrous Lipstick in Sultry Sable
- Wanna try wearing a dark lip? This is a pretty decent gateway colour.
- Pigmentation is okay, needs a few swipes for fuller opacity.
- Texture is pleasantly creamy without feeling greasy.
2) NYX’s Butter Lipstick in Licorice
- I was expecting something similar to Maybelline’s Color Whispers or Baby Lips. Well, nope. This is comparable to Revlon Lip Butters.
- Pretty awesome pigmentation really.
- Creamy, yes but not quite super hydrating.
3) NYX’s Extra Creamy Round Lipstick in Bruised
- Literally, one of the closest lip colours to black.
- Pigment is great but…
- The texture is greasy and thin, so the great pigmentation settles into fine lines and sometimes it’ll look splotchy.
4) L.A. Girl Luxury Creme Lip Color in Be Mine
- This colour reminds me of the Salem Velvetine by Lime Crime, because it’s a dark brown colour with hints of red. I ain’t saying it’s a dupe or anything, it just reminds me of it.
- AMAZING pigmentation. One swipe is all that is needed.
- SUPER creamy. Wonderful lipstick!
- (However, these lipsticks do have distinct fake floral smell which bothers a lot of people…though, it doesn’t really bother me)
5) L.A. Girl’s Luxury Creme Lip Color in Inspirational
- Basically the same info as the lipstick above. But, gosh, this colour is so pretty.
- These lip paints definitely need a lip brush and patience to apply.
- Very little is needed to cover the lip, but the texture/pigment combo makes it a little hard to even out the coverage. Nonetheless, the product of your hard work is wonderful.
7) L.A. Girl’s Glazed Lip Paint in Tempt
- This is SO hard to work with!
- It’s impossible for me to use without a lip brush, like, how do others do it?
- Up close, the coverage is never even, and it settles into fine lines easily.
- It feels great, and leaves a lovely stain on the lips though.
- Overall, I probably would warn people to stay away from this particular colour in the glazed lip paints.
8) Maybelline’s Color Sensational Color Elixir in Caviar Couture
- It looks pretty scary in the tube, but applied on the lips, it’s much more subdued.
- Can be a little hard to even out coverage, but doable
- Feels amazing on the lips! Not too sticky or anything like that!
- Another dark-ish lip product for people looking for a gateway.
Now for swatch comparison!
From left to right (by lipstick colour name): Sultry Sable, Licorice, Bruised, Be Mine, Inspiration, Red Potion, Tempt & Caviar Couture.
FYI, these pictures were taken in natural lighting… on a rainy day. What does that mean? It means a lot of the pictures are really cool-toned (ie: bluer) and not completely accurate or true to colour. I tried warming them up using a very basic photo editor, but that can only do so much.
Okie dokie, I believe I’m done here.
ps: Looking at the pictures now, these colours don’t seem so dark baha. Oh well, most of these were the darkest available in their respective lines.